Before starting a campaign, learn more about what will impact you and your team's ability to successfully organize a union. For example, what do we know about:
- The employer and the industry?
- The workplace and how work and jobs are organized?
- Our community and connections with the employer and people who work there?
- People in the area and whether or not they have organized a union?
- What people think about their jobs, community and opportunities in their life?
- The process for us to win recognition for our union?
- Whether or not we are going to petition for an election?
- The opposition we may face?
- How to gain the support of other community members for our efforts?
FIGURE OUT WHO'S WHO
When it comes to the workplace and the people involved, mapping or charting is a good tool to figure out how everything and everybody fits together.
KNOW THE RULES OF THE GAME
Labor laws cover our rights to organize a union and the hoops we will have to jump through. Learn the legal stuff.